We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Walker Sands is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and welcomes everyone to our team.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Walker Sands is looking for a strategic, detail-oriented account manager to join our growing Chicago team.
As an organization that emphasizes constant learning, Walker Sands strives to go above and beyond in developing innovative and strategic programs for our clients. Our client portfolio contains an impressive list of Fortune 500 corporations, startups, fast-growing high-tech companies, professional services firms and business associations.
As an account manager, you’ll focus on supporting B2B technology accounts and serve as a day-to-day point of contact for clients. Account managers build a deep understanding of the client’s business and drive collaboration across the agency to deliver superior work. Reporting to an associate account director, you’ll be responsible for building client relationships, leading account teams, directing program activities, tracking program KPIs, delivering quality work, managing budgets and account profitability, and providing administrative oversight of program scope and contracts.
Account managers serve as the liaison between our clients and our internal agency resources, and must be personable and relationship-oriented, as well as demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills. Candidates should have a strength for multitasking, prioritizing and organizing within a fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
Your initial accounts will be PR-focused, so candidates should have a strong understanding of PR strategy and the various metrics that clearly demonstrate the impact of a PR program. You’ll ensure that program results are meeting clients’ PR goals and align with client needs, as well as lead discussions with clients to manage program expectations. Over time, you’ll get exposure to more integrated accounts that focus on demand generation, creative services and more. You’ll help build our growing Client Services team and learn from industry experts both internally and externally along the way.
- The Client: You’ll serve as the point person for your accounts, handling communication with the client and kicking off client calls, meetings, and planning sessions. You’ll advise clients on initiatives and programs, as well as manage client expectations.
- The Work: Working with our PR teams, you will build a strong understanding of the client’s industry, business and audiences, with a focus on facilitating a strong PR strategy to tell their story in a compelling way. You’ll work with various teams across the agency to make sure that client projects are running smoothly and align with clients’ business goals. This will include updating project briefs, estimates, timelines, status reports and other supporting materials to ensure the seamless delivery of final work to the client.
- The Team: You’ll empower services teams to do exceptional work through collaboration and open communication. Additionally, you’ll delegate responsibility as needed and ensure client programs and projects are carried out efficiently.
- The Business: As an account manager, you’ll strive to improve client retention, grow accounts and minimize overservice to drive agency revenue and profitability. Down the line, you’ll look for opportunities to expand client relationships and find additional ways to add value within clients’ businesses.
- This is a hybrid role based in our Chicago office and will require you to be in office two days a week at 55 W Monroe St Suite 3925, Chicago, IL 60603.
- 3-4 years servicing client accounts in a marketing and/or PR agency, preferably in the B2B and/or technology space.
- Experience leading and developing PR strategy, with some level of exposure to aspects of digital marketing a plus.
- Ability to think strategically and understand clients’ business goals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent listening, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Strong attention to detail and project management skills.
- Experience managing junior team members with a specific focus on client work and professional development is a plus.