Associate Media Relations Director
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Walker Sands is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and welcomes everyone to our team.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
The Associate Media Relations Director (AMRD) is among a select group of talented media relations professionals within the agency who’ve shown a unique aptitude for working with the media.
This group, led by the Senior Media Relations Director, helps PR teams generate high-quality media results for Walker Sands’ B2B technology and services clients.
The role’s first objective, however, is to foster stronger media relationships through careful and considered media outreach. To that end, the AMRD has significant long-standing media relationships and a fluent understanding of the media landscape.
Generally speaking, the group provides direct media relations support on a wider variety of agency accounts than other PR department members. Based on current staffing and account load, the number of client interactions will vary.
The AMRD will provide counsel to clients in determining news value of various campaigns and news items, targeting media segments, and planning for complex announcements. The AMRD should also display experience and interest in managing more junior staff.
- Be a leader that can advise clients on strategy that includes media outreach, influencer engagement and strategic communications
- Help clients exceed their media relations goals
- Motivate and coach a team of media relations professionals
- Foster a media-centric and reporter-first culture that delivers results
- Allocate media relations resources and balance workloads between your staff
- Own national media relationships to bring clients' stories to life
- Counsel account teams on media relations, strategies, programs and pitches
- 5-7 years of combined journalism or media relations experience, preferably with business-to-business and/or technology clients
- Experience managing and coaching direct reports
- Ability to deliver sound strategy that aligns directly with client business goals
- Strong client communications abilities
- Can be the face of the agency and an escalation point for journalists & clients
- Well-versed in various paid and owned media channels, including social
- Ability to think on your feet and roll with the punches in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to interface with client executives
- Resourceful, with proven problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to think strategically and teach others to think strategically
- Ability to rally team members around a new campaign
- Believer in the importance of the role of data & analytics in decision-making
- Influential participant within media industry events