We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Walker Sands is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and welcomes everyone to our team.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
About the Role
We are seeking a talented and ambitious Accounting Director to oversee the end-to-end accounting function. The role will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Finance and work closely with other members of the finance and accounting team as well as other leaders across the organization.
What you will be responsible for:
- Systems integrity. Our agency recently implemented a robust ERP and financial system, and we are looking for a candidate who understands how effective use of technology can drive the business through the next phase of growth. A successful candidate will have a strong understanding of how various sources of data should be used and maintained, as well as an ability to explain complex accounting concepts to non-accounting professionals.
- Month-end close. A primary responsibility of this role is oversight of the month-end close process, including:
- Accurate reporting of revenue and expenses in compliance with GAAP;
- Reconciling the company’s bank accounts, expense accounts and credit cards to the general ledger;
- Managing various supporting schedules for accounts such as rent, fixed assets, deferred revenue and prepaid expenses;
- Preparing and maintaining support for journal entries;
- Generating accurate and timely financial reports each month; and
- Supporting creation of monthly financial packages and MD&A.
- Client invoicing and collections. A primary responsibility of this role is to ensure accurate and timely distribution of client invoices as well as diligent management of collections efforts for overdue accounts receivable.
- Payroll. This role will also work closely with members of the finance/accounting and HR teams to administer the company’s payroll function.
- Accounts payable. This individual will be responsible for overseeing management of the agency’s accounts payable, including making sure that all vendors are paid accurately and on time.
- Process documentation. As our company grows, it is increasingly important to have well-documented accounting and finance policies and procedures. Because of the new ERP and financial system, the individual in this role will have an exciting opportunity to define and document new processes and procedures that can help everyone become more efficient.
- Tax preparation. The Accounting Director will work closely with the SVP, Finance to prepare quarterly and annual tax returns and make tax distributions to shareholders, as needed.
- Audit. This individual will play an important role in Walker Sands’ annual financial audit as well as other periodic audits that may arise throughout the year.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a good human being. Above all, we are looking for an individual who treats everyone with respect and integrity. A good sense of humor is also a plus!
- Is experienced at managing a month-end close process from beginning to end.
- Has a passion for data, organization and documentation, ensuring tight controls and accuracy at all times.
- Understands financial statements and can explain the impact of business decisions on the company’s income statement, balance sheet and cash flow.
- Keeps knowledge up-to-date by attending workshops, conferences and other educational opportunities
Requirements for this position are:
- A four-year degree in accounting, finance or other business-related discipline.
- 4-6+ years of prior experience as an Accounting Manager, or similar position.
- Expert skills in spreadsheet applications with an ability to make sense of data across multiple sources.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A CPA designation is strongly preferred.
- Experience with FinancialForce Accounting a major plus, but not required.
About Walker Sands
Walker Sands is a leading marketing and PR agency headquartered in Chicago with offices in Seattle and San Francisco. Our team of talented professionals advise B2B technology companies on integrated marketing strategies, including PR, digital marketing, web, creative and branding.